A new piece of the puzzle:

The SQL CLI evidently runs in an activation group called "QSQCLI": if there's an active CLI session, there's always a QSQCLI activation group in the job. (Moreover, the CLI is implemented in the QSQCLI service program, and a DSPSRVPGM QSQCLI does indeed show that it uses that named activation group).

But in the jobs that are locked up from a corrupted CLI, there's *no* QSQCLI activation group listed for the job!

I think I've found what's causing the corruption, and it apparently *is* the wanton purging of activation groups that's doing it.

So I just now went into "bench-test mode" on the program that's blowing up, running a simple query twice, without incident. Then I did a RCLACTGRP QSQCLI, and tried the same query again. BOOM!

--
JHHL