Walt.
That was it.
The vendor was supposed to set the directory based on the log in, but did
not set it up correctly.

Thanks,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Walt Madden <walterross@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/27/12 7:05 AM, Jeff Young wrote:
The following is a copy of the session:
sftp -oPort=2222 user_name@199.83.137.157<user_name@199.83.137.157>

Connecting to 199.83.137.157...
sftp>
lcd /faceymms/01
sftp>
lls
DHANO120125B-0.txt DSIMO120125B-0.txt test.txt
sftp>
put test.txt
Uploading test.txt to /test.txt
Couldn't get handle: Permission denied

What are the causes of the above error and what can I do about it?

You're trying to save test.txt into the root '/' directory on the target
system (the "to /test.txt" part of the "Uploading..." message).

It is likely you don't have permission to write to the '/' directory on
the target system. I would expect you need to do a "cd" to get into the
directory the folks owning the target system have provided for you to
write files into. i.e. you need to do something like this before the
put command:

cd /some/path/on/the/target

alternatively, you can alter the put command to include the path:

put test.txt /some/path/on/the/target/test.txt

--
-----
Walt Madden