From: Peter Dow <petercdow@xxxxxxxxx>
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 22/01/2012 22:09
Subject: Re: Search in content of a IFS file

Hi Guy,

From http://ss64.com/bash/grep.html

"Normally, exit status is 0 if matches were found, and 1 if no matches
were found (the `-v' option inverts the sense of the exit status).Exit
status is 2 if there were syntax errors in the pattern, inaccessible
input files, or other system errors."

The syntax being used in this case is

grep search-string files-to-search

Knowing that, and that Unix considers everything a file, including
directories, the command I gave told it to search only the file named
"Output" which happens to be a file with content that happens to be
directory entries. So instead of searching the content of the files in
the Output folder, it searched the directory entries, and didn't find
anything.

To make it search the content of the files in the Output folder, we need
to specify the names of those files, and that specification can be
generic. Try this:

QSH CMD('grep 110000890 /M3BE/env/PRD/Output/*')

I'm not sure why you didn't see anything. When I ran it, I got the
following, because I do not have any of those folders:

grep: 001-2113 Error found getting information for object
/M3BE/env/PRD/Outpu
t/*. No such path or directory.
Press ENTER to end terminal session.

--