Hi Folks,

Pat Barber
If IFS can be mapped to your PC (as I understand the post below) then tons of utilities become available, like Total Commander, the file manager, or backup programs like Backup4All and Cobian that can save backup sets, as well as the size utilities like WinDirStat, Treesize and many more. Including file viewing. There would be little reason to use limited tools at that point.

The same goes with your cloud storage, use WebDav or other special tools to map the cloud place to your drive and you have much more utility than the standard FTP and proprietary methods.

Theoretically you could combine these tools and e.g. backup the IFS to the cloud or to external drives using selective, specialized sets. Personally I do not use IFS much, but mapping is really the way to go with otherwise proprietary locales. .

Steven Spencer
Queens, NY

I know several people have asked the question on how to see the contents
of the IFS. The IBM solution is not very well done but I did find a new way
to at least look at and print out the contents using a little Windows program.

1. Download from C-Net
http://download.cnet.com/TreeSize-Free/3000-2248_4-10139400.html?tag=mncol;1

2. If you don't already have, map a drive to the area of IFS in question
like '/root/home/patrick'

3. Open up the mapped drive using the TreeSize Free and it gives
a very nicely done layout of the entire folder and it contents with
dates,sizes,etc.

Sort of like Windows Explorer on steroids.

I been playing with concept this morning and the results can be quite
revealing.

Earlier I tried to open the entire folder system of directory '/home'
and that works also, but it does tend to be a good bit slower because I have
some folders with thousands of documents and it just takes time for the
program
to count them up.

Is this answer to everybody's prayers ? ....no but it will help.

I'm still testing but it beats the hell out of what we currently have
available.

Start with small directories till you get a feel for what it can do.

It also can produce a very nice printout of the contents.

(PS: David, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I used here to start)