Hi Folks,

Thanks, good notes (placed at bottom).
Ok, in review, we start with some Query-style tools in the inexpensive ballpark based on a more generic database history, than iSeries.

JasperReports
DbVisualizer
AquaData Studio

All have solid appearance, with Jasper having the greatest mention here.
A comparison of the three tools would be fascinating.

In each case I would be curious if there are any "gotchas" in trying to access QS36F data, after you make up some IDDU or DDS or special source representation. If the product wants the "true" DB2 database, then I could compile and copy files over to DB2 for testing purposes.

Our Company setup
15-20 users, one or two users who would use query function, plus possibly the programmer to design a pre-canned query if the product supports this nicely. If the product is the best, that would be an incentive to accelerate a bit of modernization (at least to the level of bringing in the data, however I have little interest in OCL--->CL conversion, perhaps sparking a different thread. btw, we are on 7.1 on the P05, again with only moderate interest of moving to a power I right now (maybe in a year or so). Not in a rush to buy a twinax adapter or lose my I-O terminals and Epsom DFX printers. A bit skeptical about speed gains and pricing data. Very happy with IBM service on our P05. "We will be in tomorrow, your battery/workstation-controller/doohickey is beginning to make flakey noises". Rather amazing. Oh, we are planning on upgrading our one aged network server in the weeks ahead to a new Dell.

===================================

JasperReports - Jasper Server
http://www.jaspersoft.com/editions
JasperForge - with forums
http://jasperforge.org/
Pete Helgren
http://www.opensource4i.com/
http://www.petesworkshop.com/

===================================

DbVisualizer
http://www.dbvis.com/
Security and Connectivity to iSeries/AS400 DB2 UDB - from forum
http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=4739&#4739
Discover the DBVisualizer
November 17, 2004 - Kevin Vandever
http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg111704-story01.html

===================================

Aqua Data Studio from Aquafold
http://www.aquafold.com/
AquaFold Adds DB2/400 Support to Database Tool
October 21, 2008 - Alex Woodie
http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs102108-story02.html
2.7.5 DB2 iSeries JDBC Drivers
http://docs.aquafold.com/ads/7.0/AAD1EC92-9800-3780-7F9A-3506A944D47C.html
Aqua Data Studio - DB2 iSeries Client
http://www.aquafold.com/dbspecific/db2_iseries_client.html
Forums
https://www.aquaclusters.com/app/home/project/public/aquadatastudio/discussion

===================================

Then we have two tools that have a longer-range iSeries pedigree.

SEQUEL (owned by Help Systems)
NGS-IQ

SEQUEL - I simply do not know the price range tonight, which is usually a sign of a fair expense.

NGS - got a note in email - and they say they are in the process of addressing the simpler type of environment, like ours.
We will see if that makes it affordable in the mix in the weeks ahead.

====================================

SEQUEL - Viewpoint
http://www.sequel-software.com/products/sequel
Help Systems
http://www.helpsystems.com/

====================================

New Generation Software
NGS-IQ
http://www.ngsi.com/company/ngsiq.html

===================================

There is always the possibility of using the official IBM products.

Web Query from IBM
Query/400

===================================

Since IBM's Rational is based on Eclipse, the BIRT tool is in here somewhere.
This may be most appropriate for those using Eclipse.
Maybe an essay on the relationships of Eclipse-BIRT-Actuate-Rational-IBM would be helpful.

Eclipse
http://www.eclipse.org/
Using BIRT on the iSeries (Formerly IBM AS/400)
http://birtworld.blogspot.com/2005/10/using-birt-on-iseries.html
Actuate
http://www.actuate.com/info/ppcgoogle-birtdemo/?gclid=CNapr_yw2a0CFYbe4AodzTXBkg

Although it looks like Actuate-BIRT might belong directly with Jasper-DbVisualizer and Aquafold

===================================

There are a number of products that can work with an ODBC database that simply do not have much
in the way of specific references and articles in the iSeries world.

Crystal Reports
Using Crystal Reports against iSeries databases
http://search400.techtarget.com/answer/Using-Crystal-Reports-against-iSeries-databases
Finding your Libraries and Tables with Crystal Reports
http://www.sqlthing.com/resources/FindTablesinCrystalReports.html

The server version is $$, there is a client package that may be in the ballpark.

===================================

SQL Reporting Services - Microsoft
"Reporting Services is bundled with SQL Server"
http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/solutions-technologies/business-intelligence/reporting-services.aspx

===================================

(add to list here - some may be on this page of interest)

Data Analyst Toolkit - Metadata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_database_tools

===================================

This next product is more about simply knowing the metadata structure and statistics

SQLThing Enterprise Edition
http://www.sqlthing.com/

===================================

More Notes

mrc - m-power
http://www.mrc-productivity.com/
is out of the price range, as more of a development product

BCD has a program called Clover, personally I simply do not deal with BCD products.
http://www.bcdsoftware.com/iseries400solutions/clover/

===================================

Development Tools that have Query Functions

various PC products like Access have experience communicating with the iSeries.
WinDev (uses EasyCom connection) and Magic (EasyCom) and Clarion also come to mind,
These are designed more as development tools than inquiry.

In our shop we are beginning to work with Magic, however they are not a super-Query oriented tool,
so that the need for a nice tool on the execs desk remains.

===================================

Your experiences, notes and sharing about the best query methods appreciated.

For my own roadmap, I am getting an idea about how to move ahead, with queries planned to some vendors and users.
I will give an initial edge to any product that is QS36F happy.

Steven Spencer
Queens, NY
347 218-3306

Peter Helgren
Depends on what you plan to do report writing-wize. I'd take a very close look at Jasper Reports/Jasper Server. It installs easily on IBM i 6.1 or 7.1. It has a great WYSIWYI report writing tool. It will talk to DB2 on i and has a great report server component that allows you to deploy and manage reports for your users using a web interface. Best of all it is free (Community Edition) and has a commercial version with support if you are so interested. If you are kicking tires on report writing tools of IBM i, you should take a look and give it a try (you might have to invest an hour of your time to install the compoents and deploy your first test report). Very easy. If you are interested I also wrote some RPG wrappers that allow you to run Jasper reports from an RPG/5250 program.

-Tom Stieger
Pete, do you have experience running the JasperServer on the IBM i? We have it running on another server using JDBC to connect to the DB2 databases. I have to agree that it is an excellent report writing tool and I have been using it (Community Edition) successfully for over a year.

Pete Helgren
It's what I do for some of my customers. I also have presented at Common and done a webinar. Working on a magazine article on it as well....

Rob Berendt
I have to say that Query/400 was a great tool. We had PC users uploading their data to their AS400 just so they could use Query/400 against it. Executives usually had no trouble figuring it out. I've looked at STRQM, which is part of 57##-ST1, but I am more used to column sizing and reformatting in WRKQRY. I do prefer using the SQL of
STRQM though. Most of the GUI products have a long and complicated setup process you have to run through. The hardest part for most people using a query tool is knowing what to query. For example, joining 5 files together, finding out there's no on hand balance column and you have to calculate that, and cryptic column names. All of which could be fixed by some decent views or join logical files. I prefer a view over a join logical file because I'm getting more used to the syntax and find it easier. Also, it allows for expansion by being able to include various sql scalar functions and even my own user defined functions. Many of the GUI tools setup is to have you redefine
your user data into metadata. Which basically is like creating the view under the covers.

Paul Nelson
> <<Most of the GUI products have a long and complicated setup process you have to run through.>>
> Not SEQUEL, and its associated GUI tool called Viewpoint.

> Joe Pluta
> I'll chime in on JasperReports. We run the community edition all day every day and we love it. We run the server on the i and created a custom front end that will generate PDFs and Excel and we simply add whatever else we need. RPG programmers make a few calls to an API to set runtime values and away they go.Since it's Java, Jasper runs best when you stick it in its own subsystem with its own memory. Don't let it swap with normal ILE load. Other than that, it works great. One thing I have noticed is that they are very aggressive on their tooling - it sometimes changes pretty substantially from major release to major release. They're nearly always good changes, but it can take some retraining.

> Vern
> I'm curious about your comment on column sizing and reformatting - I find it is all there in STRQM, too - and that there are even better formatting options there - the one I like most is wrapping within a column. I assume you know about using F13 to switch between the SQL statement (in SQL mode) and form definition - the latter gives you all the reformatting you could want, I think. I think QM is one of the best-kept secrets on the i - and it goes beyond reporting to doing almost anything you want with SQL. Query for i and Web Query are both limited to reporting only, so far as I have heard.

Steven Spencer
So, what if you are using no tool so far ? And would like one, preferably one that is visual and easy for an executive or two. What are the alternatives ?. 5733-QU2 and WebSphere ? (I'll have to check if we own this now, we are on 7.1, if not, then the licensing fee). Programs like DbVisualizer, Aquafold ? (They were not originally
designed for the iSeries and DbVisualizer, at least does not have official support.) More long-term iSeries utilities ? Which tend to be more pricey.
What are good Query tools in the under-$2500-or-so arena ? (We are running a P05, note that we also have the data in QS36F, although it could be moved to the native database.)