ArdGate is running on AppServer4RPG, which could be installed running on Tomcat, or standalone as Bach Job.
AppServer4RPG could run on the local AS/400, another AS/400 or any Java capable Box. AppServer4RPG is the fastest, most stable ad best scaling solution to call Java methods from RPG. It's much faster than JNI calls from RPG or calling Java via RUNJVA. As an example converting an HTML document to PDF took about half a minute called from RPG via RUNJVA. Called via AppServer4RPG the time shrinked to a half second.

Using ArdGate you would register your database with ADDRDBDIRE as any other remote database accessed via DRDA. ArdGate uses the client integration exit, an official API provided by IBM for DB2/400. The calls to the exit programm are transferred to JDBC calls, running on the prestarted JVM of AppServer4RPG in a Multithreaded environment. Once installed and configured you could access any database, which has a JDBC driver with interactive SQL, QMQRY and using dynamic embedded SQL. You don't need any Java knowledge and you could even use OPM programms to access nearly any database from ADBAS to XBASE. ArdGate is tested with Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server and Firbird and the newest version supports Commitment controll. ArdGate is deployed in one package with AppServer4RPG and the next upcoming Version from AppServer4RPG will include an application to convert HTML to PDF. AppServer4RPG could be used to write own applications to integrate Java functionality in RPG applications.

Dieter Bender