From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:53 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: 5722-QU1 Question - tools for query-style function ?

Depends on what you plan to do report writing-wize. I'd take a very
close look at Jasper Reports/Jasper Server. It installs easily on IBM i
6.1 or 7.1. It has a great WYSIWYI report writing tool. It will talk
to DB2 on i and has a great report server component that allows you to
deploy and manage reports for your users using a web interface.

Best of all it is free (Community Edition) and has a commercial version
with support if you are so interested.

If you are kicking tires on report writing tools of IBM i, you should
take a look and give it a try (you might have to invest an hour of your
time to install the compoents and deploy your first test report). Very
easy. If you are interested I also wrote some RPG wrappers that allow
you to run Jasper reports from an RPG/5250 program.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java