On 12-Jan-2012 10:00 , Marvin Radding wrote:
I am able to save objects to a tape with the outputs as described in
the help for the SAV command. It is not readable except by program
but I don't know the format. Does anyone know where I can find the
layout for the format of the output from the SAV command? I have
looked at the documentation on IBM but I am not able to find any link
to the format. HELP!

I am not entirely sure to what the above alludes, i.e. what "it"\"outputs" is exactly, but presumably the reference is to output generated as directed by the OUTPUT() parameter using the 'stream-file-path-name' specification for which the following documentation links may assist:

_i Interpreting output from save (SAV) and restore (RST) i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu004.htm
"
When you use the Save (SAV) command or the Restore (RST) command, you can direct output to a stream file or to a user space.

If data already exists in the stream file or user space that you specify, the command writes over that data. It does not append the new data to any existing data.

To specify a stream file, you must have *W authority to the stream file and *R authority to the directory for the stream file.

To specify a user space, you must have *CHANGE authority to the user space and *USE authority to the library. The server needs an *EXCLRD lock on the user space.

* Entry header information
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu401.htm
When a Save (SAV) command or the Restore (RST) command is run, the output can be directed to a stream file or user area.
* Command information entries
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu402.htm
This table describes the format of the command output for the SAV and RST commands.
* Directory information entries
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu403.htm
This table describes the format of the directory entry output for the SAV and RST commands.
* Object link information entries
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu404.htm
Object link information entries are output in the format described in the table below. The Entry type value in the entry header determines if the entry associated with the header is a object link information entry.
* Trailer information entry
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu405.htm
The trailer information entry is output in the format described in this topic. The Entry type value in the entry header determines if the entry associated with the header is a trailer information entry. The trailer information entry is the last entry in the output created by save (SAV) or restore (RST) commands.
* Output sequence
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu400.htm
This table shows the sequence of entries in the output when you specify INFTYPE(*ALL) or INFTYPE(*ERR)
* Field descriptions
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu406.htm
This information describes possible values for the save (SAV) and restore (RST) output fields.

"

Regards, Chuck