On 11-Jan-2012 19:50 , fbocch2595@xxxxxxx wrote:
I'm late to the party on this one but I read through everyone's
comments about CALL PGM(QSRSRV) PARM(METRICS '/home') and have some
questions;

Does calling this PGM harm anything on my i?

Probably not directly; i.e. presumably a non-destructive feature intent only on reporting. But the program is a "service tool" per my prior reply in this thread, and [thus] lacks much in the way of documentation; i.e. missing what would be expected for a documented API.

Does is delete anything?

With the /metrics/ invocation... Unlikely, except what the program might produce temporarily to implement its function. Ensuring auditing is enabled to track both the service entry and any delete or change activity would probably be appropriate... and a recent backup, just in case :-)

Does it cause locking of objects?

Presumably whatever locking would occur for stat() [and similar] API calls to obtain information from the links. Probably much like what a request to [DSPFD, DSPLIB, or] WRKLNK might effect for the "objects" being reported. While there is a suggestion that it "is best to run this program when your system is least busy", I would expect that is less about contention than consistency with a presumed SAV environment.

Will calling the PGM only produce a report of the IFS?

Seems the root is allowed and that UDFS are included unless precluded by an additional parameter or made unavailable. However presumably to gather statistics for typical SAV activity, likely /QSYS.LIB and /QDLS are omitted. For that same reason I would expect that perhaps any object with the attribute *ALWSAV [CHGATR] set to *NO, that the object would not be counted.... but without documentation, who knows except by inference from results in a test? And the sample output below from the "Experience Report" seems by omission to suggest none of *FLR, *DOC, and /QSYS.LIB object types are included for an invocation against the root. Should be easy enough to test [given necessary authority to the program and objects if not adopted by the program; another issue for an undocumented interface, is unknown authority requirements] the /metrics/ invocation against a /QSYS.LIB/SOMETEST.LIB where SOMETEST *LIB is created with some objects to test what the invocation does with that specification.

Abstract
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/experience/ifs_saveabstract.htm
"
Experience report
Backing up the integrated file system

Every System i(TM) server has objects stored in the integrated file system. Many new applications on the i5/OS(TM) system store data in the integrated file system. These objects must be saved as part of a backup. For many customers the amount of data stored in the integrated file system is small enough that it is not a concern. However, for an increasing number of System i customers the backup of their integrated file system data has created additional considerations for their backup.

This experience report documents information about integrated file system backup. It is intended to help those customers that are experiencing concerns. Specifically, this report will:

* Identify several scenarios that cause additional considerations for integrated file system backup
* Help you identify the amount and structure of integrated file system data on your system
* Help you set realistic expectations for integrated file system backup on your system
* Provide tips and techniques that you can consider to help deal with integrated file system backups
* Provide references to other useful resources
"

_i Experience Report: Backing up the integrated file system i_
[ifsystem.pdf Author: Paul Koeller Published date: May 2004]
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/experience_web/ifsystem.pdf
"

_i Understand the data in your integrated file system i_

The first step to address additional considerations for integrated file system backup is to understand the integrated file system concepts. You can start by reading about the integrated file system in the iSeries(TM) Information Center.

Once you understand the concepts, you need to understand your data. It is critical to know both the amount and structure of your integrated file system data. The information in this section will help you to understand your data.

_i iSeries Navigator i_

_i WRKLNK command i_

_i QSRSRV program i_
V5R1 PTF SI05156 and V5R2 PTF SI05155 are available to gather metrics data about your integrated file system data. Depending on the amount of integrated file system data on your system the program may take a long time to complete. It is best to run this program when your system is least busy. You can load the PTF and then run the following command to obtain data about all of your integrated file system data.

call qsrsrv parm(“METRICS” ’/’)

To get the most accurate backup performance data, it would be best to have the system in the same you would have it when backing up the system (user-defined file systems (UDFS) unmounted, network servers varied on/off, etc). However this may not be possible, so there is another optional parameter which tells the tool not to process QNTC, QNETWARE, or QLANSRV directories. If you don't normally save those directories because the network servers are varied off, then specify “EPFS”
third parameter:

call qsrsrv parm(“METRICS” ’/’ “EPFS”)

You can also run the command against a specific directory. For example:

call qsrsrv parm(“METRICS” ’/mydir/mysubdir’)

The command will produce a spool file with the name of QSRSRV. The listing is in English only. The listing will include a line for each directory on your system. Each entry includes the number of objects (LINK COUNT), the number of multiple linked objects (DFRD LINKS), the total size in of all the objects in the directory (SIZE IN K BYTES), and the name of the directory (NAME).

For example:

LINK DFRD SIZE IN DIRECTORY
COUNT LINKS K BYTES NAME
35 0 112832 /QIBM/ProdData/OS400/Java400/ext

Summary statistics are listed at the bottom of the listing. For example:

TOTALS FOR /
65516 5 10920873
*STMF *DIR *SYMLNK *FIFO *SOCKET *BLKSF *CHRSF *DDIR ...
48089 12135 5173 0 12 0 103 1 ...
Total mounted UDFSs 0; Total Unmounted UDFSs 0
Objects per Directory - Max: 10000; Average: 5
Max Directory Depth: 130; Max Directory Width: 10000

_i RTVDSKINF command i_
Another alternative available to help you understand the data in your integrated file system if you select to not use the QSRSRV program is the Retrieve Disk Information (RTVDSKINF) command. ...
"

Regards, Chuck