Hi, John:

Sounds like they are processing the data on a PC DOS (or Windows) system ... the idea for adding a "$" (or any non-blank character) to the end of the record is to preserve the "fixed length" fields -- otherwise, some software blank trims trailing blanks when reading "lines" of data from a text file (hence the requirement for the CR/LF)...

Does that help?

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 1/10/2012 6:45 PM, jmmckee flinthills.com wrote:
A vendor wants a record with fixed length fields , followed by a
dollar sign AND a CR/LF.

Leave off either the CR/LF or the dollar sign, and record is rejected.

I don't know if the site uses SQL to parse out the data. I'm just
curious if there could be some valid reason for a record delimiter and
the CR/LF sequence.

John McKee