The easy way is to set Tomcat up in Apache and let Apache do the https, though you can set Tomcat up to SSL itself. See the documentation at apache.org for either way. On I, HTTP Server Powered by Apache, or whatever they call it now, has the nifty configuration tool at port 2001. Or you can modify the configuration files in '/www/*'.

I've done it for Tomcat 5.0xxx using Apache on Linux to handle https, but not on i. Only change on Tomcat was to configure an AJP connector in the Catalina service.

Most of this stuff is in the server.xml file and you just have to uncomment it. Here's what it looks like in my Tomcat 7.0 server.xml file.

<!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
and responses are returned. Documentation at :
Java HTTP Connector: /docs/config/http.html (blocking & non-blocking)
Java AJP Connector: /docs/config/ajp.html
APR (HTTP/AJP) Connector: /docs/apr.html
Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080
-->
<Connector connectionTimeout="20000" port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1" redirectPort="8443"/>
<!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
<!--
<Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000"
redirectPort="8443" />
-->
<!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
This connector uses the JSSE configuration, when using APR, the
connector should be using the OpenSSL style configuration
described in the APR documentation -->
<!--
<Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
-->

<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"/>