Sorry to get into this so late. For installed products, putting the product library into the user portion of the library list is an accepted practice. Without either putting the product library, or a product library subset, into the library list, the product commands must be either 1. Fully qualified or 2. Put into QSYS. Putting copies of product commands into QSYS is done, but creates other potential problems.

With the commands in the user portion of the library list, if a product is updated, the new version of the product library will not automatically get included into the user portion of the library list. Therefore, the product library is placed into the PRD position. Properly implemented, this may insure that the currently installed functionality is available.

The advantage to not using the PRD portion of the library list is that the product can be updated or tested on either a user by user bases, for a given set of users or for the entire system by designating which library gets placed into the user portion of the library list.

Another advantage of using the product (PRD) portion of the library list is to avoid naming conflicts which reduces the amount of customer problems and support time. For a very widely used and system integrated product such as BRMS, this can be a significant benefit.

The product library should be removed from the user portion of the library list when the product is uninstalled.

Mike