I just now changed the driver to HPPJLDRV. Not sure which is "best".

John McKee

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Dan Kimmel <dkimmel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You're using SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) drivers to talk to the printer. SYSDRVPGM(*IBMSNMPDRV). SNMP supports page ranges and other elements of printer control.

9100 is the well-known port for PDL (page description language). PDL is a pretty generic term. Lots of different protocols are supportd.

SNMP uses several well-known ports for datagram services. 161 and 162, in particular. It would be interesting to check if these ports are open in your network.

You might check the printer documentation and see if SNMP is really supported on 9100. You might find that there is a lot of protocol negotiation going on here. It could be that IBM I is trying to contact port 9100 using SNMP, but the printer only supports IPP (Internet Print Protocol) on that port. Several more attempts are made before a "compatible" protocol is agreed. Note that there is also a SYSDRVPGM(*IBMIPPDRV) configuration available.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jmmckee flinthills.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:23 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Remote outq vs. *DEVD

This is the source for one of the *DEVD printers.  Not knowing better, defaults were used.

Defaults can be the issue.

I can't recall where in this thread the settings were asked for.  So, it is out of sequence.

CRTDEVPRT DEVD(AD1P024R) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) +
   LANATTACH(*IP) PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) +
   FONT(11 *NONE) FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) +
   PRTERRMSG(*INQ) MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) INACTTMR(*SEC15) +
   LINESPEED(19200) WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) STOPBITS(1) +
   TRANSFORM(*YES) MFRTYPMDL(*LEXOPTRAS) PPRSRC1(*LETTER) +
   PPRSRC2(*LETTER) ENVELOPE(*NUMBER10) ASCII899(*NO) +
   IMGCFG(*NONE) CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('10.51.51.24') +
   WSCST(BSYOBJ1/SADPOPTRA2) SYSDRVPGM(*IBMSNMPDRV) +
   TEXT('Admissions - 1st floor - Registration') +
   PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK +
       (*UNKNOWN))

John McKee