Like you I too would balk at holding outqs. It was just a suggestion. I would balk more so at installing a "special" vendor program to check for an error though. Especially if it would impact production in any way.

Tracking down the Host Print outq can be interesting. First, it determines outq from user's job description not the interactive job. In the jobd the PRTDEV() and OUTQ() parameters come into play in determining the outq.

Printer Device - Help

The name of the printer device or the source for the name of the printer
device that is used for all spooled files created by jobs that use this
job description.

*USRPRF The printer device name is obtained from the user profile of
the job at the time the job is started.

*SYSVAL The value in the system value QPRTDEV at the time the job is
started is used as the printer device name.

*WRKSTN The printer device name is obtained from the work station
where the job was started.

printer-device-name The name of the printer device that is used with
this job description.

Output Queue - Help

The name of the output queue that is used as the default output queue
for jobs that use this job description and the library that contains the
output queue is also shown.

*USRPRF The output queue name for jobs using this job description is
obtained from the user profile of the job at the time the
job is started.

*DEV The output queue with the same name as the printer device
for this job description is used.

*WRKSTN The output queue name is obtained from the device
description from which this job is started.

output-queue-name The name and library of the output queue for this job

Plus, an initial sign on program can perform an override. So determining the outq being used by Host Print needs to be established.

Bottom line: Use DSPJOB/WRKJOB option 2 to determine the default outq. Then use option 15 to see if the printer file has been overridden to a different outq.

Maybe the client will allow just those 2 outqs to be held while a test is performed.

Gary