On 08-Dec-2011 09:55 , Jeff Crosby wrote:
True, but the storage limit threshold, CPI099C, is only severity 90.
:)
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Jerry C. Adams wrote:

[CPA3394] Severity level 99 seems kinda reasonable. I want those
"change forms" messages attended to ASAP.

However that naming [the prefix CPI] would suggest the CPI099C is used for "Informational" messaging, not for "Inquiries" which would normally have the naming prefix CPA. Might comparative scales of "informative" and "inquiry", whereby the latter enables control of the flow of processing whereas the former gives no capability to interfere with the flow of processing, best represent that one type of messaging is inherently less severe than the other? That is to suggest perhaps, that relative comparison of severity levels might best be made only within the context of the specific type of messaging being employed.?

Consider the naming [prefix CPF] of CPF0996 which would suggest that message identifier is used for "Functional" messaging for which that message [presumably] is issued as an Escape\Exception, and that message suggests that the "Storage usage reached critical point and must be reduced" with the OS possibly having overridden user choice to ensure the "system is being started to a restricted condition because there is not enough unused auxiliary storage", yet that message has only the severity=80 :-)

IMO the SEV(80) vs SEV(90) vs SEV(99) across those messages can not be compared relatively. That instead, appropriate relative comparison can be made only within the context of the type-of-messaging intended, lest the severity of any one seems absurd when compared relatively to another outside that context.

Regards, Chuck