From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:58 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SSD Analyzer Tool

I'm not sure what your point is. At no point did I even imply that the system would crash or lose data or anything like that. I assume that when one of these drives goes casters up, you can replace it like any other drive. Even us non-hardware guys replace drives, Larry.

I've only been thinking of the MTBF of the drive vs. the cost and speed. Just wondering about the ROI, is all. No need to get out the long knives. I'd really like to know what the real world MTBF is for an SSD drive vs. other IBM drives, and then do a cost analysis.

I'm not even remotely suggesting IBM would want to put out defective drives. On the other hand, I might think that IBM would LIKE to create a market for a really fast drive that was a little more expensive and needed to be replaced a little more often than the standard drive.

Joe

Does anyone remember bubble memory on AS/400, iSeries, System i or
POWER systems?? I don't.

I know you are not a hardware guy, but really Joe. I ask again, do
you really believe iBM would introduce these things FIRST on their
very largest (and therefore highest profile) machines if they truly
were not ready for prime time? What do you think the publicity would
be for a customer with $10,000,000 of POWER Systems going "Thunk"
because they piled on a ton of data on storage that wasn't really
ready??? I don't see IBM legal letting that even be an option.

- LArry "DrFranken" Bolhuis