On 12/1/2011 5:28 PM, DrFranken wrote:
In short, they sell it on POWER, I trust it. Leery? Not me.

Oh? IBM's never sold a technology that became obsolete in a relatively short time? I've got a WORM drive that argues against that particular statement. I'm not leery that SSD works. I would worry that I'd find out I have to replace all of them a couple of years down the road because someone overestimated the MTBF and IBM chooses not to continue with the technology. The issue becomes more difficult if IBM is switching away from SLC, which at least has a decent track record. From what I read there's a lot less history for MLC drives, and even less for the eMLC designs that IBM uses. If you're the kind of person who waits a year or two to upgrade to the latest release of the OS, I would think you might also wait a little bit to jump on the latest hardware bandwagon as well.

Especially if there's a price point issue. If the SSD drives are the same price as normal drives, it's an easy choice. If they're a 1000% premium, it's pretty hard to justify. Anything in between is a business decision. I was just trying to set the parameters of that business decision. The track record (or lack thereof) of the technology is a valid parameter in my mind. But hey, I'm not a hardware guy so what do I know? :)

Joe