OK You did a bad thing.

First when you say 'Slot 3) do you mean 3rd from the left as in P2-D3? Or the third from the right as in P3-D2? Hopefully it was the former and we'll work from there. (The later is the Load Source)

You say two disks were removed, one is this 'Slot 3' guy and the other 'slot 8' (P3-D4) is that correct? Thus there are still drives in 1,2 and 4,5,6,7?

You say you removed those 2 disks from the system. You did this in Work with DIsk Units and then Remove from Configuration or did you remove them with Service Tools Concurrent Maintenance function? There is a very important sequence here that MUST be followed. 1) Remove from Configuration, 2) Exclude from Parity Protection (which could be much more involved that this depending on your RAID configuration.) 3) remove physically. If you deviate from this sequence, meet Mr 9021. :-)

Do you know if you had two RAID sets or just one?

When the system 'came up' did you get all the way to IBM i or just Service Tools? Service tools might come up with units missing. If you got all the way to full operation what did WRKDSKSTS show? Was one unit showing FAILED? (or two?) In theory you could have had two raid sets and slots 3 and 8 were part of different raid sets. Perhaps now another drive has failed and that would be bad.

I think the most important question is did you remove the slot 8 drive from RAID before you pulled it out? Or possible was it not participating in RAID (which would be curious at the least.)

So many questions, so much puzzlement....

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis