We use Tivoli Identity Manager. It keeps the passwords in sync in between
windows, i, etc. They even have a web site for internal use for users to
reset passwords (we've not implemented that yet). But, hey, if MY BANK
allows me to reset my userid/password it can't be out of the realm of
possibility for users to reset their own for the i and windows, right?

A thought to try, CRTMSGQ QSYSMSG. All 'critical' messages that get sent
to QSYSOPR get copied there also. The copy is automatic based simply on
it's existence. You don't get the fluff like "job completed normally".
You do get the stuff like
Message . . . . : Subsystem QINTER varied off work station QPADEV0017
for user MMARTINE.
If you have something like MessengerPlus you can have it do actions like:
From . . . : QSYSOPR 11/14/11 11:44:03
MessengerPlus varied on device QPADEV0017

Or perhaps have MessengerPlus perform even one of the train of thoughts
you're having.

In the user's profile we have their employee number stored in the
"Accounting code". Doing a DSPUSRPRF to an output file regularly. We
also store their employee number in Lotus Notes. We've come up with a
process to tie the two together. So figuring out an employee's email
address automatically is easily done.

Of course, with TIM, if our users couldn't sign into the i, they probably
can't log into Windows to check their email. Hence the desire to use the
feature of TIM we haven't activated yet.