Maybe you could get the information you are looking for from the e-mail journal:

Here is an example of the data that's available...

ID 06FBEB51111041502410000004498 QPADEV0057 L3H 738233 QZMFSLOG
Date Time Data Comment
11/04/11 15:02:41 E EH SNDMAIL TO MSF
15:02:41 E E1 O L3H@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
15:02:41 E E2 R wsmilne@xxxxxxxxxxx
15:02:41 E EX /tmp/E738233111104150241280.txt
15:02:41 E ET MSG SIZE 1113
15:02:41 1 MSF message create
15:02:41 P P2 R SMTP MsgFwd wsmilne@xxxxxxxxxxx
15:02:41 C C6 FWD TO QTMSOUTQ
15:02:41 C C1 O L3H@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
15:02:41 C C2 R <wsmilne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
15:02:41 8 8B QTMSOUTQ TO CLNT
15:02:41 2 000010000100000
15:02:41 8 88 DLVED 172.17.0.181 Successful delivery
15:02:41 8 82 R <wsmilne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
* * * * * E n d O f L i s t i n g * * * * *

Log codes consist of 2 characters. The first idenifies the the OS/400 function that generated the entry.
The second character identifies the action taken. The list of functions is:
Id Function Description
1 MSF message create
2 MSF message summary
3 MSF message reset by STRMSF MSGOPT(*RESET)
4 MSF message removed by STRMSF MS
5 MSF message acted on by address switcher
7 Bridge server processor for inbound SMTP queue
8 SMTP client processor for outgoing mail
9 SMTP server processor for incoming mail
A MSF non delivery processor
B MSF local delivery processor
C MSF message forwarding processor
D POP create message
E Send mail api
F Domino MTA
G Tunneling snap-in
H SNADS switcher
I MIME parser (local delivery snap-in)
L FAX (local delivery)
M SNADS
O Filtering
P MSF SMTP address resolution exit

The list of actions is:
Id Action Description
1 Log origninator name
2 Log recipient name
3 Log undeliverable recipient
4 Received mail from IPADDR (from host)
5 Received relayed mail IPADDR
6 Move mail to outbound SMTP queue
7 Move mail to inbound SMTP queue
8 Delivered to IPADDR (of host)
9 MSGID: <internal 822 Msg Id>
A Dequeue mail from inbound SMTP queue
B Dequeue mail from outbound SMTP queue
C Move mail to 1st retry queue after time out
D Move mail to 2nd retry queue after time out
E Move mail from 1st retry queue to outbound SMTP queue
F Move mail from 2nd retry queue to outbound SMTP queue
G MSGID MAP TO < MSF ID >
H Move mail to MSF for processing
K Error resolving domain name: errno domain
L PGMNAME TO QTMSBSSQ
M QTMMBSSQ TO PGMNAME
N PGMNAME TO QMSFQUEUE
O Transfer mail to SNADS
P Undeliverable Notice
Q Local Delivery By Tunneling
R Create Confirmation Of Delivery Message
S Refuse spam connection: IPADDR
T Log message size
V Refuse relay: IPADDR
W Rejected by filtering
X Remove original file containing message

Kenneth
Kenneth E. Graap
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kennethgraap