On 24-Oct-2011 08:54 , Willie J. Moore wrote:
I would like to save multiple libraries to a savfile and then save
that savfile to tape.

Non-recursively, there is no capability to save more than one library to a save file; i.e. with SAVLIB LIB() DEV(*SAVF), only one element, just one specific library name, is allowed on the LIB() parameter.

My question is how would a restore work. Would I just do a 'Restore
save file object' (rstsavfobj) for each library that I needed to
restore? The restored library would have to be restored to a hold
library. That would then let me work with the restored library. I
would only have to restore one (1) library out of the savfile group.

Is the inquiry specific to the use of TAATOOLS [SAVFARC - SAVE FILE ARCHIVE - TAASAWI]?

The reason I am looking into this is so if we lose a tape drive we
can still run our nightly processing (saves, etc). Then when the
drive is up and working we can save the savfile to tape. Any comments
and ideals would be appreciated.

I am not familiar with the TAATOOL features, but a simple implementation for making multiple libraries to save files in preparation to move the data to tape:

<code>

for each-lib-to-save:
crtsavf qrecovery/&libname
savlib &libname dev(*savf) savf(qrecovery/&libname)
endfor

And then making the above library backups restore-capable directly from tape using RSTLIB or RSTOBJ, can be accomplished using:

for each-save-file:
savsavfdta dev(tapdev_name) savf(qrecovery/&savf)
dltf qrecovery/&savf
endfor

</code>

The library QRECOVERY was chosen as an example only. Implied in that choice is that the backup features purposely do not include that library; i.e. whatever library name is chosen [, created] and utilized for the above example implementation, should be excluded from the normal SAVxxx activity as backup since the SAVSAVFDTA will be used instead.

Regards, Chuck