Sorry I could not find more information about the cause of the problem.
I tried to add a constraint and I got a message: "Can not allocate object". Since I knew for sure that nobody else was using the table, I digged in the joblog and I found as probable cause that the object is damaged, but I did not found the reason why. I suspect it was damaged when the electricity went out and the UPS died before the generator started, but I can not prove it. At that time other file in the same library got badly damaged I could not read it, so I had to delete it and restore a back-up.

I agree that it will be very good to know the real cause, and your comparation with the car is good. But, getting a new car will fix the problem, if it only was as cheap as re-creating a file.