Just a thought, but you might want to consider not knowing those people. :)

I love (not) those "This is bigger than..." discussions that compare things that aren't comparable. e.g. My admiration is bigger than your discontent, or the i-to-Power change is bigger than S/3x-to-AS/400.

Sheesh, on what terms are we measuring? Anyone who has worked on both will be able to remember the volumes and volumes of functional changes and feature enhancements integrated into the move from /3x to /400. Rather than functional, the more recent change was mostly strategic. Even RISC involved more new feature/functionality than did the switch to i. But as far as strategy goes, and maybe flexibility, there are certainly large advantages gained by that move. Another angle: One could argue that the S/36 -> AS/400 move was biggest of these, if only in terms of number of systems impacted. Whether it is "bigger" or not, is a matter of perspective, seems to me. YMMV.
++
Dennis
++

Sent from my Galaxy tablet phone. Please excuse my brevity.
For any grammatic/spelling errors, there is no excuse.
++

"James Lampert" <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Trevor Perry wrote:
Because the AS/400 has been a dead platform for 12 years?

Because IBM sells IBM i on Power, and we want a future for out
platform?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
--William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene ii.

There is far more difference in both hardware and software architecture

between a current model MacBook, and the original Mac128, then there is

between, say, an E4B and a B10, and yet they're both called
Macintoshes.
Likewise, far more difference between WinDoze Vista and WinDoze 286
than
there is between V7.1 and V1R1, and yet Microsloth still calls it
WinDoze.

Yet IBM feels compelled to change names more often than some people I
know change their underwear.

--
JHHL
list