I understand the point being made and this is straying further from the
original topic. Windows originally ran on top of DOS. You could leave
Windows and still be in DOS. so i don't see the comparison your making
there.
I also don't think it is the same thing as changing names for marketing.
The new systems are not AS/400's they are Power hardware, but the original
name change from AS/400 was just that, a name change The system was not
different. the architecture changed from system 36 to AS/400, nothing
changed from AS/400 to Iseries at the announcement. I was at Common and
saw the keynote where they showed the new Iseries by replacing the old
AS/400 cover with a new one.