Your RPG sounds fine... RETURN and *INLR=*OFF is correct...only other
thing to check is that DFTACTGRP = *NO and ACTGRP is _NOT_ *NEW

My guess is it's something in the js causing the RPG to be repeatedly
invoked....

considering adding some logging code to the RPG, so you can track the
start time and end time of each call to the program (via a simple
DSPLY if nothing else...) Assuming you see 100's or 1000's on
invocations...you'd have the proof that something's wrong on the
HTML/javascript side...

HTH,
Charles