I used to have this on the job scheduler to run at 4pm. The last duty of
the operator was to check the results of this before she went home for the
day.

We also have this (obviously called by another program to evaluate the
'status'):
http://code.midrange.com/7f5c79cc5e.html
and this:
http://code.midrange.com/b8ac44ee1f.html

However, we stopped doing this. We fill our media library up at the
beginning of the week. Actually, our library fits more tapes than we can
use in a week (and it has 6 drives supporting multiple lpars). We only
initialize new tapes. BRMS handles tape expiration and just writes over
expired files.
We fought BRMS for a long time. Finally we got tired of fighting, wrote
the check for installation expertise and onsite training as part of the
installation and it has made our job a lot easier. Print off the report
listing which tapes go to Iron Mountain, which ones are due back from Iron
Mountain, etc. All tapes have their own unique tape id (volume name).