Was the plan to perform "efficiently" dismissed as a requirement? That CLP would perform significantly worse plus waste significantly more resources than even the RTVMBRD someone else suggested. A very poor implementation IMO, and seems completely to miss the intent of using the syntax checker versus actually invoking any commands.

Since the QCMDCHK API was apparently ignored, I do not suppose there is much benefit in suggesting another.? There is also the Verify Name (QCAVFYNM, QCAVERIFYNAME) API for which CPF019D is sent for an invalid name; use the format VFYN0100 and the *NAME for "basic name" as alluded on the example *CMD CHKNAM.

Verify "an input value to determine if it is a valid system name"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/apis/qcaverifyname.htm

FWiW I did not suggest the above API in my first reply, because although I was convinced such an API existed, I could not recall the name, nor have I ever coded to that API; I have used QCMDCHK for that effect however. And I did not see the doc link in the InfoCenter search results in an earlier search on _validate name API_ but a new search omitting the token API was as good as when searching on the _verify name API_

Regards, Chuck