I'm a little hazy on the details, but i believe i tried it both ways,
d-type from v5r4m5 i_base01 and then "select alternate installation
device", then install lic from alternate device which failed looking
for the info in the tape and also a d-type with only the tape which
also failed.
Will wait until replacement LTO3 has arrived and i'll report then.

Thanks (i had forgotten the subtle difference)..