SJL,

The CCSID of the new file is being calculated from the ASCII CCSID that you provided on the command.

you state that you are doing this:

FTP CCSID(*DFT)

If you look at the help behind that CCSID parameter, you'll see this:

*DFT
The CCSID value 00819 (ISO 8859-1 8-bit ASCII) is used.

So *DFT = 819. The assumption is being made that the CCSID of the ASCII file is 819, and therefore, you want to use the EBCDIC value that corresponds to 819... which is 500.

There are three solutions:

1) (BAD SOLUTION) You can specify FTP CCSID(437). This tells the
FTP client that the ASCII file is in CCSID 437 (which was an
MS-DOS code page for PCs in the USA.) When you use 437, the
system will choose 37 on the EBCDIC side.

This is a bad solution because, since the advent of Windows 95,
no PC uses CCSID 437. If they send any variant characters,
this is likely to create a mistranslation.

2) (RECOMMENDED) Type the following FTP command before you do
your MGET. (Or, if this is a script, add it to the script
before the MGET):

LOCSITE CRTCCSID *USER

This tells the FTP client that you want to create new files
using the default CCSID of your job. In your examples, that
would be CCSID 37.

(Confusingly *USER means the job ccsid. I would've expected
them to use *JOB for the job ccsid!)

3) (RECOMMENDED) Pre-create the file. This also allows you to set
other things, such as an external definition for the file.
However, this option is not practical when you don't know
the filename in advance.

Hope that's clear?