On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 14:08:02 -0400, Steve Richter wrote:

And what is the great value of an EDI translator? I was able to parse
the 846 ( inventory snapshot ) pretty quickly with RPG procedures. I can
see using a translator when sending a properly formatted document.

I agree. It's not rocket science. IMO, using a translator just makes it
more complicated. I've worked in both environments, and much prefer
rolling my own. Even with multiple trading partners, given a well formed
document, it's not difficult to mimic the document in a database schema,
parse the document into it, and use standard SQL queries to retrieve and
process the data. It gets a bit more complicated when you have documents
in multiple versions, but still easier than setting up translation
mappings and processing for each trading partner. I maintain a trading
partner register that contains values to control processing differences
between trading partners.