I don't know if your off-list reply included any reasoning...

But per this post from Rodney Johnson, formerly part of the IBM i printing team:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_thread/thread/ac498c2f598ca7c7/1bd1927e5fec4079?pli=1

"I would chose PJL last. The reason being no sharing between systems
until there are no RDY files. A single TCP/IP port, so if the printer
stops talking for some reason, you have no way to determine why...just
looks like the writer is hung.

SNMP is better because it allows sharing between files (if you specify
*IBMSHRCNN on the USRDFNOPT attribute of the printer device). SNMP uses
two ports. A data port, and a status port (actual SNMP). This allows
you to know why the printer writer has stopped processing the spooled
file (like out of paper condition, printer offline, etc.)."

HTH,
Charles