Backed up regularly: Currently with desktops and laptops we are using
Tivoli Storage Manager to back them up. Desktops are cool - leave them on
all the time and back them up off shift. Laptops tend to go home. You
have to back them up when they are connected. I can tell when it kicks in
because my performance goes down the drain. Been known to do stupid
things like reboot to get out of it. With virtual desktops we can go back
to offshift. Sure, replication between sans is cool for high
availability, but it doesn't allow you to get back the boss' spreadsheet
he hosed up. You still need to back up.

My fishing buddy is installing key card systems on many doors and digital
video security systems. He's done a few county jails, several businesses
and handles a few states. So that will help in the physically walking
off.
Look at it this way, if you now heist someone's laptop and all it does is
get into vmware there will be no data on that laptop so it won't be like
some of those news stories where some financial company has to disclose
that someone walked off with a thousand SSN's.

Hope it's cheaper. But is it? Sure, these new terminals have to be
cheaper than a desktop or a laptop. And perhaps the Windows licensing is
different for vmware than for each physical workstation. But you still
have to have beefy servers, SANs, and now data replication, comm between
backup and primary servers, etc. If you do it right. You can skip the
data replication. It's not like they had that with their existing
desktop. But we won't skip that.