Check the Infocenter. For V6R1 the Memo is in the following URL:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaq9/rzaq9.pdf

As per my copy of the V6R1 Memo to Users:
--------------------
*Starting and ending TCP/IP*
With this release, a new system job named QTCPCTL is started during IPL of
i5/OS. This job coordinates
and processes requests to start or end TCP/IP interfaces, and is persistent
from IPL to power down. A
second system job QTCPWRK is started as part of IPL processing of i5/OS.
This job ends when TCP/IP
is ended and is started when TCP/IP is started.
In previous releases, these functions were performed by the QTCPIP and
QTCPMONITR jobs in the
QSYSWRK subsystem. These two jobs started and ended along with TCP/IP.
Taking i5/OS to restricted
state automatically ends all active TCP/IP interfaces and the TCP/IP
protocol stack (as before). With this
release, ending the QSYSWRK subsystem does not end the active TCP/IP
interfaces. Messages, which
were sent to the job logs of the QTCPIP and QTCPMONITR jobs, are now sent to
the job logs of the
QTCPCTL and QTCPWRK system job logs.
TCP/IP messages, which are sent to the history log, might now appear after
CPF0968, System ended to
restricted condition.
With V6R1, the STRTCP command now allows the command to be run while TCP/IP
is active. In this
case, the system performs the processing associated with any STRTCP
parameter specified as *YES. For
example, if TCP/IP is started with the command STRTCP STRSVR(*NO)
STRIFC(*NO) STRPTPPRF(*NO)
STRIP6(*NO), the IPv4 protocol stack is started, but no TCP/IP servers,
interfaces, point-to-point profiles,
or the IPv6 protocol stack are started. Subsequently running the command
STRTCP STRSVR(*YES)
STRIFC(*YES) STRTPTPRF(*NO) STRIP6(*YES) starts the IPv6 protocol stack and
all TCP/IP servers and
interfaces configured as AUTOSTART(*YES).
Chapter 2. i5/OS operating system 49

Note: If the TCP/IP protocol stack was not started when TCP/IP was started,
you can start the IPv6 part
of the TCP/IP protocol stack by issuing another STRTCP CL command and
specifying the STRIP6
parameter as (*YES). This action applies to both normal operating mode and
restricted state.

There are other TCP-related notes, but haven't had the time to check them...
HTH,

Luis Rodriguez

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Tom Hightower <tomh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Luis,