From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 8:31 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Identifying unique sets of combinations

Hi, Richard:

Finally got back to this - other priorities and all that.

Everything looked to be wonderful until I got to the catcheck CTE,
which
includes columns that are not in - and, as far as I can see, cannot be
in -
the catcomp CTE on which it is based. This is that point of complexity
I'd
mentioned before that makes my head swim.

I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf! But I think I'll just opt
for
the familiar array-type process. A shame since I think the SQL
solution
would have been a nice trophy. :)
--
Sent from my Galaxy tablet phone with with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.

"Richard Casey" <casey_r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dennis,

How is your category/code info stored?

Just for grins (sanity optional!), I created a table (codefile) with
two
fields: category and code.

The following query should identify category "pairs" that contain the
same
set of codes.

with catcount as (
select category,count(*) count
from codefile
group by category),
catcomp as (
select a.category cat1, b.category cat2
from catcount a
join catcount b on a.count=b.count
where a.category<>b.category),
catcheck as (
select cat1, cat2, a.code code1, b.code code2
from catcomp
join codefile a on a.category=cat1
left outer join codefile b on b.category=cat2 and
b.code=a.code)
select distinct cat1,cat2
from catcheck a
where not exists (
select *
from catcheck b
where b.cat1=a.cat1 and b.cat2=a.cat2 and b.code2 is null)

Each CTE builds on the previous one. "catcount" is a list of
categories
with
the count of the number of codes assigned to them. "catcomp" then
pulls
the
category pairs that have the same count. That lets us ignore the
category
pairs that can't be duplicates. "catcheck" generates records for each
code
in the first category of the category pair and includes the matching
code
from the second category of the category pair. The left outer join
means
that the matching code will be null if the second category doesn't
have
that
code. The actual query pulls from catcheck for any category that
doesn't
have any nulls for that matching code.

This query will report each category pair twice; since if A=B, then
B=A.

Have fun!

Richard