If DSPSIZ(*DS3 *DS4) is not the cause, then KEEP will not be either, I
think.

Perhaps it is in the programme itself. Perhaps the problem WINDOW DSPF is
closed after the first call and opened on a next call without another DSPF
been refreshed on the screen.

As you do not give us the complete source of both the DSPFS (omitting the
CF-lines), but including the ones required for the WINDOW and the DSPSIZ.
and code snippets of handling the EXFMT of the second WINDOW DSPF we all
are just stabbing in the dark. The code snippets provided are irrelevant.

And in the WINDOW DSPF you do not need OVERLAY, unless it is a SFLCTL.(But
that is not the problem either.)

Have you signed off an on again, because you may have working with an older
copy of the problem objects?

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler