I think I've been looking in the wrong places for the problem. I copied a
working display file window and renamed it to the problem window. This
window also causes the blank screen. So, I'm thinking the problem is in the
calling program, not in the called window.

Since windows display correctly when called from "format 1", I'll see if
this window displays correctly when it is called from that, rather than
"format 2".

Mark Plank