Thanks for the overview at the beginning. The goal was to reduce paper
usage. And, you want to find out what actually prints versus what is
spooled up and nothing happens. I'd like to go into things like: If they
print a 200 page report but only use the last page how do you handle that?
However, on to your problem...

We've used just regular auditing in the past. See

System value . . . . . : QAUDLVL
*PRTDTA
Printing functions are audited. The following are some
examples:
o Printing a spooled file
o Printing with parameter SPOOL(*NO)
*SPLFDTA
Spooled file functions are audited. The following are some
examples:
o Create, delete, display, copy, hold, and release a spooled
file
o Get data from a spooled file (QSPGETSP)
o Change spooled file attributes (CHGSPLFA command)
I don't know if this will give you the level you want versus job
accounting, but it might be worth a try.

It did come in useful in determining we needed to take away the BPCS
option to look at an output queue instead of just their option to look at
your spool files. Someone was deleting the rest of the spool files in the
output queue (just as general cleanup). Auditing found that and we
"educated" him. (Think "1984" by George Orwell.)