Chuck,

Appreciate the time you’ve taken in providing your responses.

The code is inherited with precious little documentation and it rarely has any comment about “Why” it operates the way it does. Unfortunately, CLMAIN is also a critical application that is executed many times a day, but typically only by 3 users. All the executions are interactive and typically the user stays signed on for the entire shift but they run program other than CLMAIN. So far problem has occurred with only 1 of those users, but when it breaks people tend to get excited.

The downstream stack from the failure is extremely complicated. I’ve tried to scan most code for OVRDBF and DLTOVR but found very little and nothing obvious. Most of the downstream code is RPG and there appear to be few overrides, but since the code in CLMAIN does not loop back, I don’t see how the downstream code can impact anything.

I reviewed the user’s job log from the last successful execution of CLMAIN, and checked out the other programs that were executed before the CLMAIN that incurred the failure, and again I have found nothing obvious.

At the start of the failing program I’m going to put in an OPEN of A_FILE and check using the file info DS that A_FILEX is really being opened. If it isn’t I’ll do a DSPOVR and produce a DUMP in an attempt to distinguish between a SQL problem and an OVRDBF problem. Per your suggestion I’ll also review the SQL communication area and see if it shows the file opened in the cursor—if it does I’ll probably switch to checking that instead of doing an RPG open of the file. Or maybe I'll check both.

I think I’ll also do some scanning for OVRSCOPE(*JOB) in programs that could have run <before> CLMAIN, but I don’t think that has been used much. A_FILEX is a temporary copy the file and updated only in CLMAIN. A_FILE is the real file and is used in most code without any override, so I’m not hopeful, but you never know.

The PTF issue is out of my scope, but I think I can get a commitment to do it more often than we currently do…

Sam