I'm coming (fashionably) late to the party to add my 2 cents...

First-- when you retrieve a journal entry for the "File of Interest" you have the 'raw' entry-- a bunch of journal fields (time-date-user who did it-etc) plus the fields from the original file. But as a single field.

I think others have shown the data structure with the journal fields and a space for 'your fields go here.'

You create a file to match that data structure-- journal fields + the fields in the original file, then CPYF from the retrieved journal entries to this file FMTOPT(*NOCHK). This is about the =ONLY= time I'll allow a *NOCHK! It just runcates anything in the journal record you don't need.

As you've noticed, this is primarily a batch process.

However, IBM has another command, RCVJRNE, which allows you to tell IBM's journal processor to hand you a copy of every journal for a list of files as they're being written to the journal receiver! This allows near real-time processing of the journal entries. No more scanning all of the journal receivers for the whole day as a batch process!!

See http://systeminetwork.com and search for CBX902 for the first part of the sample code; the rest is mentioned on the page.

There's a link to the file with the source code.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx