What is the status of the controller & device for the twinax alt console?
There is a control panel seq to determine what the systems console is set to (I don't have doc handy but it is in hardware part of Info Center on "changing console type". See if it is looking elsewhere than lan console.
Jim Franz
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Crosby" <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:57 PM
Subject: V7R1 upgrade console issues

What a fun day.

System i 520, Ops Con LAN for console, V6R1 to V7R1 upgrade today.

Everything went smoothly until the very end. Did the V7R1 cume apply & IPL,
followed by the HIPERS/DB apply & IPL (No, I don't know why I didn't do them
at the same time).

Then I downloaded all the other group PTFs, applied, and did the IPL. Thought
I was all done. Just doing the final IPL after the final PTFs were applied
and planning on doing the full system save. Lo and behold I have SRC A900
2000 which the IPL src finder does not list. So I googled it and found it
has to do with the console. Says it can't be found. However, I HAVE the
console up (OPS Con LAN) and am signed on as QSECOFR. So I opened a PMR. I
told IBM that I still have a single twinax display that I use as an
alternate console (saved my bacon in the V5R4 to V6R1 upgrade too) in case
that means anything.

IBM Support says they think that can't be done and think it's the problem. I
said it's been that way since V5R4. I was able to do a full system save
(option 21) so it evidently THINKS I was on the console. We decide to table
it until Monday and the console group is in. This is all goofy enough, but
it gets better.

I did the full system save. Then I try to start the BRMS console monitor. It
won't let me. Says that display is not in the controlling subsystem. Huh? I
just did a full system save in restricted state. I display the job and it
says it's running in QCTL. I check the system value for the controlling
subsystem and it's QSYS/QCTL. The Monday morning backup won't run unless the
console monitor is active, so I guess I'll be contacting IBM again tomorrow.
I don't expect much help as no one will be available from the console group.

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby