From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Lampert
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:27 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Replacing objects if they exist: Another SQL-newbie UDF question

Suppose I want to create an object that might already exist, replacing it if it does, from a source member executed with RUNSQLSTM.

I already noticed, when creating, then labeling, views, that if the LABEL ON statement fails, the system apparently rolls beck the CREATE TABLE as well.

So I seem to be in a double-bind: if I put a DROP statement at the beginning of the member, before the CREATE VIEW, CREATE FUNCTION, or CREATE <whatever> statement, and the original object is not there to be deleted, I would expect the whole thing to fail, without anything getting created.

And I already know empirically that if I don't DROP an already-existing object that I'm creating, the CREATE fails.

Is there a way to make this work without having to use two separate RUNSQLSTMs on two separate source members?

--
JHHL