IANANE but, It sounds like you could need a second router. Even if the i
was serving DHCP, it probably doesn't do "routing" does it? It just
assigns an IP to a network attached device. Will it do routing from one
vlan to another? If all the machines are on the same vlan then you might
be ok since they won't need to hit a router and can simply route through
the switch, maybe???? Someone with more networking knowledge could help
clarify a bit maybe, but this is just from my current understandings....
If it worked without a router I really would be shocked, but who knows....
maybe it could work as I describe...

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

"Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/28/2011 10:43 PM
Please respond to

<MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
iseries as secondary dhcp

Have been asked if iSeries can be "backup" dhcp to the current Sonic Wall
router handling dhcp. Customer needs access to iSeries, even if internet
router out. This local network has 20 local pc's (dhcp), several printers
w/fixed addresses, the Sonic Wall router, & iSeries - no Win Server & no
spare pc. Router went down in a power outage & initially did not come back
up. None of the pc's could connect to the iSeries for hours till fixed.
I know the iSeries (V6R1) supports DHCP - but asking how many use the DHCP
as a 2nd dhcp in the network - any issues? Now that I think about it -
this doesn't seem righ since the router inside address is the local
gateway. Is a 2nd router on the switch a better idea?
Jim Franz