Thanks for the responses Chuck,

I did try changing the pgmq to *SAME, and it crashed just the same way.

And uh, I'll be the first to admit that my cl is rusty and I kinda
blunder
thru messaging (and other things) to (eventually) get results. <g>

John B

Even after correcting the MsgKey and KeyVar issue, consider that when a
RCVMSG receives no message, the received parameter values including the
key value are blank. Attempting to receive a message by that key or
relative to that key, will invariably lead to CPF2410.

But traversing the messages [from the last and those previous] in the
*EXT [external] program message queue would seem to be futile for a
message that would have been signaled to the program message queue of
the active program, to the PGMQ(*SAME). That is to say, the CPF1002 for
the failing ALCOBJ will be sent to the CL program itself, not to the
external message queue.? Unless I have totally forgotten about or have
never understood how the message handling feature functions, the current
approach referencing PGMQ(*EXT) seems awry.? Though more likely, I
believe that as I had suggested previously, the spooled joblog to show
the "To program" information would best be reviewed to determine how the
message might best be retrieved.

Regards, Chuck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential, privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose any information contained in the message.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.