From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Lampert
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:41 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Decided to hang it up

Musselman, Paul wrote:
I can hear the younger crowd asking, "What's a card reader? Some
sort of credit card thing?"

Kind of depressing: I've *used* Hollerith cards (albeit only once or
twice, and only in connection with a system that had no
batch-submit-from-terminal functionality), and most of the programmers
know haven't a clue what a Hollerith card *is.*

On the other hand, one of the churches I bounce around among has a
digital organ that's old enough that it *takes* Hollerith cards for the
old Allen "Alterable Voices" feature. Although the cards aren't encoded
in Hollerith code, but rather in something denser, that's specialized
for squeezing a half-cycle sample into 80 columns.

--
JHHL
list