We got it.

Rochester had him reset the IOA (not the IOP) and now all is well.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

All,

On a 3581 L28 attached to a System i, is "library" mode the same as
"random" mode?

We started having issues Friday afternoon. IBM CE is here with a new
drive. Installed it, the tape drive display says RANDOM mode, but if we try
WRKMLBBRM, the option 8 on that drive to work with media, we get

CPF67C0
Message . . . . : Command not allowed
Cause . . . . . : Library device TAPMLB02 is not in library mode or the
library device manager is offline.
Recovery . . . : Switch library device TAPMLB02 to library mode or the
library device manager to online and retry the operation.

A vary off/on with IOP reset would not be good as the IOP also controls
disk drives. The drive arrived in RANDOM mode, so we don't think that would
be it. But we're stumped. He's phoning Rochester as I type . . .

Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby
VP Information Systems