http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Data_Storage

In short: LTO1-5 runs in speeds of 20-140MB/s depending on tape generation.
DDS runs at 0.18-6.9MB/s.

The slowest LTO (original spec) is 3x faster than the fastest DDS.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Jerry C. Adams <midrange@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Compatibility" reminds me of a Rita Rudner routine. She was talking about
LPs to 8-tracks to cassettes. Said she wasn't going to CDs until she got a
written guarantee that this was the last change. Minutes later she was
talking about street people: "You've seen those people walking down the
street talking to themselves. Those are the ones that bought 8-tracks."

Charles, I think, said something about slower, too. Can you, or anyone,
define slower - relatively speaking: LTO5 to 4mm?

At my previous employer, I used to use lower capacity (and cheaper)
cartridges to do a Save 21. Took 4-6 hours. One day I used the higher
capacity cartridge; it took just over one [1] hour.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
Facts are stupid things. - Ronald Reagan
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN