Steve,

Do you validate the XML against a schema? It looks like that will be one of our requirements. I am seeing the methods I think but examples are hard to come by.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Needles,Stephen J
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:47 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Creating XML

We are using it to construct xml from a table. The table contains directives that tell the toolkit how to structure the xml. We use it to feed xml to an application that will generate .pdf documents.

It utilizes the IFS as well. I wasn't here when the process was developed, so I am not familiar with the details of getting it to work.

However, it works very well in our situation. Before RPG got the XML-INTO verb (and its associates), we had used in to also decompose XML into variables for our RPG programs. This did not prove to be a good fit for us as it was too slow. So I wrote an XML-parser to speed this up. New code now uses the XML-INTO stuff and is much easier to manage.

So, for XML generation, we like and continue to use it.

For consumption of XML...not so much.

Steve Needles