On 3/30/11 7:35 AM, John.BresinaJr wrote:
We have a 3rd party application on our system that hasn't been
updated in years. I can see about 18 programs within the 3rd party
application library that are being used on a daily basis. Is there a
way I can tell what is calling those programs?

If the programs are all OPM *PGM objects and the subsystem and routing either is known or can be inferred [or generically modified; e.g. the interactive subsystem(s) for an interactive application], then the debug feature [STRDBG and optionally ADDPGM] can be activated in each job via the various routing entries [optionally further limited by user\group name or device name\type] in the routing program. Having established debug, a break-point can be established for each program in order to implement a means to easily effect an exit program being invoked to log the stack and\or other information, or perhaps establish a trace; i.e. a Breakpoint program named on BKPPGM() parameter of the ADDBKP CL command defines the exit program and the STMT('/1') parameter specification establishes the exit point at the initialization phase of the called program.

Already mentioned, but I will second object auditing both for the simplicity and that the method might sufficiently satisfy the requirement... even if only over time, just as with debug or any tracing, and probably as had been done for determining the "being used". Beyond just a statement suggesting auditing, it may be instructive to know also that Object Auditing must first be activated in the auditing system value(s) and then issuing the CL request CHGOBJAUD OBJAUD(*ALL) for all 18 programs, and then review by DSPJRN [or DSPAUDJRNE or CPYAUDJRNE] the "Program name" for the T-ZR entries generated for those programs.

Regards, Chuck