Our nightly batch process uses InfoPrint to create PDFs on the IFS.

Occasionally, maybe once a month, the writer issues message CPF3433, “Printing of file xxxxx by writer DSTVPRT2 not complete” and holds the spool file on the OUTQ. The PDF does not get created.

Spool files hit the OUTQ in quick succession, but the creation is single threaded. Basic process is to create the spool file on hold, then duplicate it to another OUTQ using APIs. The second OUTQ is where the InfoPrint PDF creation takes place.

It isn’t always the same spool file, but it always seems to be at the last page when it fails (according to the second level text of CPF3433.)

We have an exit program that sets the PDF name, and from dumps from the exit program it appears that InfoPrint has created a PDF and is failing when trying to apply the final name.

It is not a naming problem, because we use the same program-generated directory structure and PDF name each time, and it is only occasionally that it fails and not always on the same spool file. And if we just release the held spool file the PDF gets created on the IFS as expected.

There is nothing useful that I can find in the job logs of the 3 jobs associated with the writer. They have all been running for about 20 days.

I suppose it might be a timing issue with the order that the spool files hit the OUTQ, but I’m not sure how I could debug that.

I suppose that it might be another job that has some kind of lock on the IFS at that instant, but it appears that other than our single thread batch process, the only other jobs running are system tasks and Mimix tasks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.