Since he said RAID1-mirrored, I think it's really 4 drives rather than 3. If not, that would be the first thing to fix, because a disk is unprotected.
--
Sean Porterfield

-----Original Message-----
From: DrFranken
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 11:16
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Rép. : Question of a Newbie to POWER Systems

Mauricio,

I think you've asked enough questions for a full day consulting gig! However if I read it correctly your email address says you're located in Israel? So I'll toss in a few things from afar!

First Patrick makes a good point (below) about VIOS. A PS700 Plade will do well performance wise but no redundancy available to VIOS. VIOS is needed to work with XIV.

When you say it needs capacity which capacity? Does it need Disk storage, CPU capacity, Memory Capacity? Or is the system simply too slow
and so it needs 'An Upgrade' generically? I will tell you that my
guess is that the latter is the case and in that case my 'Radar' points with laser focus on those three disk units. As you are not familiar with the IBM i architecture you would not be drawn to this. Even the smallest POWER6 or POWER7 machine can swamp those three drives with I/O, even with 9/10ths of it's processor tied behind it's back! This translates generally to poor, even dismal, performance.

I would urge you to review the numbers on WRKSYSSTS and WRKDSKSTS during some 5 minute intervals while the system is very busy. Those numbers can be used to to help focus on what part of the system is under stress.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

P.S. Also your system is FAR newer than iSeries as you have a POWER System and the operating system on your machine is IBM i.